Small Business Owners – Apply to Win $5,000 at IES
Four immigrant business owners will compete to win Wells Fargo sponsored contest
DES MOINES, IOWA — June 28, 2015 — Immigrant small business owners are invited to submit an application to participate in the Underwriting Exposed Competition, sponsored by Wells Fargo, at the Immigrant Entrepreneurs Summit on Saturday, November 21, 20105 at FFA Enrichment Center in Ankeny.
Applications will be accepted beginning July 1, 2015 at www.iesusa.org. The contestants are required to submit their business plan, 3-year budget projection and resume to the IES planning committee, and were judged on the following criteria:
- Immigrant Small Business Owner (born outside of the U.S.)
- Less than $10,000 in sales in the last 12 months
- Business Plan
- 3 Year Budget Projection
- Principal’s Resume and Experience
Underwriting Exposed was introduced at the 2014 Immigrant Entrepreneurs Summit and attracted twenty applicants. The final four contestants chosen to present their business to the panel of judges were:
- Cesar Garrido (Muscatine, IA), Authentic Mexican Cheese Manufacturing Company
- Eduardo Ramirez (Muscatine, IA), Construction Company
- Godlisten Lyimo (Des Moines, IA), Import & Export African Spice Company
- Goreth Nabukeerah (Des Moines, IA), Import & Export Cosmetics Company
Goreth Nabukeerah of Des Moines, Iowa, walked away with the $5,000 award.
The mission of IES is to bring businesses of diverse backgrounds together to share, learn and celebrate the immigrant entrepreneurship experience and its contribution to the overall community. The summit will exhibit the success stories of immigrant entrepreneurs, and business owners will share ideas for business growth and their keys to success. Participants will be able to network and learn from others in a non-competitive and supportive environment.